Tom Lilley Bars - I work in an Edinburgh cocktail bar part time, and study English Language at Edinburgh Uni. This blog is about the drinks I make/encounter/hear about, and general bartending banter. x

Monday 13 June 2011

The Banoffee Martini

As promised in my last post, this special wee cocktail needs a quick mention. And as I have a couple of weeks before I go away to Croatia/Montenegro/Serbia for a couple of weeks (I know, get me with the travel – EXIT BABY!!), I thought I’d go back to the original idea of doing smaller posts about cocktails I find interesting.
So this one is from Edinburgh’s own ‘Villager’, on George IV Bridge. For those of you familiar with Edinburgh cocktail bars; this place is owned by Blue Steel, the same three guys that used to own Dragonfly on the grass market, and now operate The Voodoo Rooms on West Register Street.
According to The List, Villager opened in 2003 and has been serving quality food and exciting drinks ever since. I love to go either for some mid afternoon grub or early evening cocktails; the food menu boasts both classics and oddities such as the Vodka Martini mussels, all served with a carafe of water filled with large slices of (if I remember correctly) watermelon and/or cucumber. Easily entertained I may be, but that is pretty cool.
Their cocktail menu is our main concern, and trust me it does not disappoint. As you probably gathered, I like things that are a little bit clever, different, stylish  - and Villager’s menu, divided into self-explanatory sections such as ‘Man drinks’ is certainly all of the above. The Banoffee Martini is in the ‘Decadent’ section, fairly obvious why.
Here’s the recipe (thanks to Kyles at Villager/Blue Steel  for emailing me this).....

Villager Banoffee Martini (cocktail glass)
25ml Absolut Vanilia
12.5ml Crème de Bananes
12.5ml Techienne Butterscotch
1 barspoon Maple Syrup
25ml Half and Half (milk and cream)
1/3 of a banana
Muddle 1/3 banana in shaker tin, add ice and remaining ingredients. Shake vigorously, and double strain in a chilled martini glass. Garnish with chocolate dusting, and a slice of banana.

I'm actually struggling to actually describe the taste without sounding like an idiot - it tastes of banana....but a bit like toffee....kind of like...banoffee..? It is simply sublime; the thick creamy texture is perfectly reminiscent of its pie-related namesake, the banana flavour strong, and the maple syrup satisfying any sweet tooth. I think what impresses me most is simply how accurate in taste it is, it has to be seen (or drunk) to be believed. On top of that, muddled bananas and maple syrup aren't exactly the first things you reach for when thinking of cocktails. Make sure you pop into Villager and get acquainted with one some time soon.

Here's a not particularly good photo by myself of said cocktail -

The Banoffee Martini


For a little more insight into Villager’s origins, see THIS INTERVIEW with the founders by Alice Whitehead.

Thanks for tuning in again, hope I've inspired you to go out and find some exciting creations for yourself!

Much love, 
Tom x


No comments:

Post a Comment