Tom Lilley Bars - I work in an Edinburgh cocktail bar part time, and study English Language at Edinburgh Uni. This blog is about the drinks I make/encounter/hear about, and general bartending banter. x

Friday 23 September 2011

Mulata Daisy

What a beauty. Created by Agostino Perrone (Head Mixologist, The Connaught, London), this one is a very, very nice twist on a classic. It was the UK 2010 Bacardi Legacy Cocktail Competition Ultimate Winner, the same comp that launched the sick videos I mentioned last time.


"The first impression that you get of my drink is of the generous and sensual curves of the glass dusted with the powdered chocolate.
This is where the name comes from; it takes me straight to a sun-drenched Cuban street where I see a beautiful Latina flower seller walking past swinging her hips.
The rich dark chocolate liqueur blends with the vanilla sweetness of the rum, but it is the light nutty aniseed of the fennel where the drink really comes to life. This gives it depth and intrigue, with the floral-herbal notes of the Galliano teasing out the finish.
The glass is like a basket of flowers held high, with the most wonderful and seductive bouquet of aromas that you cannot help but follow. Just like the girl."

Phwoar. You smooth bastard Agostino. Here's the recipe listed on the website; if this doesn't get you excited wait till you've seen him make it....I think it's his accent but I've never heard anyone make a drink sound this good...

  • 40 ml BACARDI Superior rum
  • 25 ml Crème de cacao dark
  • 20 ml lime juice
  • 2 tsp caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
  • 10 ml Galliano L’Autentico
     
Step 1 - Dust the rim of a coupe glass with chocolate powder and carefully rinse it with the Galliano L’Autentico
Step 2 - In a shaker muddle the fennel seeds 
Step 3 - Add the other ingredients with cubed ice
Step 4 - Shake hard and fine-strain into the glass


I'm off for a cheeky drink at The Meadows Hotel, will definitely be asking my friend to make me one of these!


Much Love,


Tom x

No comments:

Post a Comment