Tom Lilley Bars - I work in an Edinburgh cocktail bar part time, and study English Language at Edinburgh Uni. This blog is about the drinks I make/encounter/hear about, and general bartending banter. x

Friday 23 September 2011

True Originals

True Originals is the new campaign from Bacardi, promoting their 'Legacy' cocktail competition. After sifting through the obvious entries and user uploaded videos, you'll eventually come across some of the advertisement videos featuring various mythical cocktail legends demonstrating their takes on classic cocktails. I absolutely love these four videos, they literally give me goosebumps. 

No.1 is the epitome of Japanese cool, The Samurai. The Samurai pours the perfect simple Daiquiri for our slightly evil looking narrator, and is rewarded with a black and red coin I presume is an invite to some super-awesome competition, like Mortal Kombat but for cocktails. Mortal Cockbat perhaps.

No.2 is my latest crush, The Hummingbird. Her challenge is a Pina Colada, which she dispatches with ease. She too earns her multi-colour poker chip. I have little else to say here, the bar looks similar to where I work, but with more beautiful people.

On to No.3 then, and our sinister host (who it has just hit me looks kind of like a sleazier, more Spanish version of the bad guy in X-men: Wolverine) makes his way to foggy London town, correctly represented as a medieval farming commune. In The Apothecary he challenges the bartender/farmer to make him a Mojito; of course to be an original with this drink he really has to pull out all the stops. Apart from stressing the use of 'not just any mint, it has to be Yerba Buena' (which you can read more about in my previous posts!) I was most struck by the idea of using Australian eucalyptus leaves as a base before adding the usual mix. Can't even begin to fathom what it would taste like but I have no doubt it would be awesome.

And finally No.4, the biggest Lad I've seen in a while, The Outsider. It's a Cuba Libre Jim, but not delivered like we know it.


Take me now, you beautiful beautiful man. Well teach me how to be so bloody cool at least, love making can wait.


Hats off to Bacardi for some seriously awesome marketing here, I really hope these videos become well known in UK bartending circles.

Before you go, watch The Outsider video again. Hell yeah.

Much Love,

Tom x

No comments:

Post a Comment